Tuesday, July 24, 2007

This week's homework

Scalzi asks:

Actually, my IE is really slow right now, and I'm only posting this 'cause John seems to need more responses to prove to his corporate masters that we still need him around here to help support the AOL-J community -- and we do -- so I'm just gonna sum up.  Scalzi asks:  bacon or TV.  Which is to say, if you could only have one, which would it be?

It would so be TV.

And, no, this isn't a cheat because I keep kosher and can't eat bacon or anything.

In fact, my parents cheerfully tell the story of this one time, when I was really young, and we went to an all-you-can-eat Sunday brunch buffet at a really nice restaurant, and I pretty much picked up the whole tray of bacon and poured it on my plate (to the dismay of the staff).  Must've eaten an entire pig that morning.

So, I mean, I'm totally down with eating bacon in concept.

In fact, though, I don't eat it all that much.  Like, a slice or two every coupla months, if that.  Whereas TV is pretty much a daily constant companion.  Would I give up bacon to keep all my favorite prime time programming (and my late-night fake news)?  Absolutely.

I'd have to pause if you were asking the same question about, say, chocolate.  Or ice cream.  But the fact is, when I started this "new eating plan" (not a "diet"), I gave up other foods I thought I was pretty attached to (like, say, Coke -- I had about a 2 can/day habit) and it wasn't all that hard and I don't miss them.  I venture I could say I could give up any food item long before I'd give up my idiot box.  Or my slightly-less-than idiot box (computer) for that matter.

No comments: