Saturday, September 24, 2011

"Oh! You're a bleeder"

That's on the short list of things you don't want to hear from the person giving you your flu shot.


"Oops," I imagine, tops the list.


(Was at Costco today.  For some reason, I didn't trust the evening shift at my local grocery store pharmacy.  I'm sure they're totally capable of giving me a flu shot; but they always seem so bored.)  I went with the theory that Costco probably does a high volume in flu shots, so their flu shot person is likely pretty good at it.)


Costco lady was not particularly talkative.  (The woman who had me fill out the flu shot form was quite friendly; the woman who took my twenty bucks equally so.  The woman who actually had me in her office with the alcohol pad, cotton ball, injection and band-aid -- all business.)  Pretty much the highlight of the conversation was "Oh!  You're a bleeder!" as she rather quickly reached for the cotton ball.  She then volunteered that she's done tons of these and I'm her first bleeder.


Somehow, this does not make me feel special.


Just hoping I didn't bleed out all the good flu vaccine.  I've never gotten a flu shot before, but after last year's experience with the Worst Sore Throat I've Ever Had, I'm thinking that perhaps an ounce of prevention (or a couple of cc's, or however they measure it) is the prudent way to go.


In retrospect, I probably could've gotten it done for less money had I gone to someplace that took my insurance.  Still, I was there.  It was an impulse buy.  Besides, I promised myself that if I was a good little girl and got my flu shot, I could get one of them free sample brownies the lady in the back of the store was handing out.


By the time I was done with the flu shot, free sample brownie lady had packed up and left.  :(  

No comments: