Sunday, April 14, 2019

LMNL at OneDome

I have a work thing in San Francisco, so I came up a few days early to spend the weekend with Cousin Roni.  And we had salads and went retro clothes shopping (and I got a sweater with little kitty faces on it) and I met her bunny and we walked around and I saw views and it was fun!

And today, I wanted to do something vaguely indoorsy, and Groupon hooked us up with LMNL at OneDome.  LMNL is billed as an interactive exhibit made up of 14 rooms designed by 14 different artists that you get to play in.

I had hoped for something kinda like Meow Wolf. 

Not so much.  It was more like Instagram Heaven.

First, we started with "Health Shots."  Served in skull shot glasses, for some damn reason.  No, wait, I know the reason.  Because this looks cool.



We were actually pretty lucky, in that we got there when there was no line, and most of the rooms were empty, or had only one group in them (and we could just wait our turn and get the room to ourselves).  But the people who were in there fell into several categories:

- Families with kids who were running and jumping and playing and having the bestest time!
- Artist-types who were feeling the vibe and sketching what they saw.
- Duos made up of one person who was clearly the Instragram model and the other who was her photographer.

Me and Roni were just there to, y'know, have fun.

I really like the room with strings of lights in it.  This was one place where the reflection in my glasses added to the effect.  Dude, we are in the Matrix.


You can't quite tell (because selfie) but we were SURROUNDED by the strings of lights; we're standing in a small space in the middle, but it's lights everywhere.



The wall in this one was surprisingly fun to play with.


Not sure why I was going for the "Chased by something" look here, but the wall totally adds to the panic.

There was one very small room (you could barely fit both of us in there) which was mirrored on all surfaces and the mirrors had flashy lights in them which responded to motion.  We stood outside the room for a bit, watching the Instagram Couple take all the photos they wanted -- she kept posing, telling him the pose she was taking, and directing him which shots to take.  It kind of cracked us up.  I told Roni that when we got in there, I was going to sit in the corner and completely ignore the camera, and then turn and stare blankly at it, like I so totally don't care about anything.



Roni says I nailed it.  I'm thinking of maybe starting an Instagram of "50-Year-Old Does 15-Year-Old Angst" poses, but, like, I just totally can't be bothered right now.

And then we stood up in the tiny room, and figured that if it's REALLY activated by motion, we should give it some damn motion.  So we did a little tango in there, and were rewarded with tons of bright rainbow lights, and we laughed and fell toward the doorway.  When Roni opened the door, we saw the Instagram Couple out there, and I wondered if they'd noticed us totally goofing in the room, but they were glued to their phones, reviewing their pix, and waiting for their turn to go back in and redo some shots.

No comments: