Monday, February 12, 2007

Oh, the indignity

Went grocery shopping the other day.  I live on the second floor of my building, so I usually hang all the grocery bags off my arms and lug all my groceries up, in the elevator, in a single trip.  This time, I had about six plastic bags of groceries.

It had been raining.  When I got in the front door -- groceries dangling -- I wiped my feet on the mat.  Then I stepped off onto the tile, and left little black marks.  I stepped back onto the mat.  I wiped my right shoe repeatedly on the mat and test-stepped onto the tile.  No more marks.  Success.  My left foot is in the big honkin' air cast.  I wiped the air cast repeatedly on the mat, but every time I test-stepped onto the tile, I was still leaving little black marks.

I'm not supposed to take off the cast, and I'm sure not going to track little black marks down the hallway on my nice new carpet.

I look at the groceries.  I take the toilet paper out of the plastic grocery bag, jam my aircast in the bag, and tie the handles in a knot around my ankle.

Success and humiliation all at once!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'd say that was a good solution. Pretty good idea!
Pam

Anonymous said...

But so inventive!
Lori
http://journals.aol.com/helmswondermom/DustyPages