Saturday, August 24, 2013

You can buy what now?

Got up bright and early -- my alarm went off at 7:00 and I wasn't really angry at it or anything.  I guess that's what happens when you actually have 8 hours of sleep.  Had breakfast (a cranberry/pecan french toast) and met with today's nutritionist -- who turned out to be last night's nutritionist.  She now has the challenge of coming up with a variety of healthy meals designed for someone who doesn't cook much and hates most vegetables.  (I have been directed to (1) get my body composition tested, so she knows how many calories to aim for; and (2) try quinoa, and let her know if I consider it an acceptable grain.)  Both of these things will be accomplished by the end of the weekend.

Did the same workout I did yesterday, although I kicked the cardio up a few more minutes.  Do not yet appear to be dead, so, y'know, that's a good sign.

On my way back to the room, I thought I'd stop at the shop.  It's one of those places that smells like patchouli and has geodes all over the room.  They sell all sorts of products branded with the resort's name, lots of stuff to keep you cool, lots of stuff to exercise with (including videos which I assume won't even get out the box when most people get them home), and lots of crystals that are labelled with various healing powers.

They have said crystals on leather cords to wear around your neck, or as jewelry, or as stones to hold....

.... or on clips to put on your pet's collar.

That's right.  You can give Fluffy a little tinkly crystal charm on her collar, which will (depending) shower her with love, or health, or relaxation, or whatever.

Now, see, this here has me stumped.  I imagine that whatever value there actually is to this whole healing crystal business is something of a placebo effect.  It comes from knowing you're wearing the healing crystal, which gives you some sort of positive sense of well-being.  The damn things aren't going to cure cancer or anything, but they can give you comfort and change your outlook.  One of those "if you believe in it, it'll work" types of things.

Which is where this whole Pet thing loses me.  Because Fluffy there has no idea of the mystical powers of the crystal.  Fluffy may, conceivably, enjoy its presence -- as some of them are shiny and may even make a pleasing sound when she runs around -- but if the pet doesn't really know what the crystal is supposed to do, how will it possibly have any effect on the pet?

Or will the pet somehow feel the healthy vibes because the person who is the food in the bowl believes in it?

(All that said, if they had one for Not Peeing Inappropriately, I would have bought it in a heartbeat.)

No comments: