Sunday, January 10, 2010

Update on the death

They caught the guy.


And we know it's the guy, because he apparently confessed.

Turns out it was personal -- dude had been in an "intimate relationship" with the victim.  

This doesn't make it any less tragic, but I feel a certain level of satisfaction at the closure.  The sheer "why?!" of it has been resolved, at least on a grand scale.  (I still wonder why, but it's more a question of what was going on in this one man's head, and I'm fairly sure the answer is none of my business anyway.)

I can go all philosophical about this -- about how when I used to work on murder cases, it was always important in some way to get a grip on the "why," because then I could sort of distance myself from it and feel safer.  And wonder if this is a human reaction to violent crime -- that we don't want to know the details out of morbid curiosity, but rather to just separate ourselves from it.



I can also get all angry about this, which I did when I heard a radio news report on the arrest, which managed to -- without actually accusing anyone -- imply that various sordid things could have been going on.  (I'll have to remember the technique if I'm ever planning to defame anyone.  You know, something like, "Police searched his kitchen; they didn't say whether he ate babies.")


But, basically, I'm still sad.

1 comment:

Lori said...

I am glad they caught the guy.