Friday, March 6, 2009

Already a Crappy Neighbor

That would be me.

I've been going to the house every night to check on the contractor's progress. Takes about ten minutes. I take pictures. (I'd post 'em here if I had the time.) Tonight, I'm walking through the house and I hear a loud squeak.

Was that the floor? I step on the same spot in the floor and it's squeakless.

I keep going and take more pictures. I hear the squeak again.

I stand still and wait to hear it again, so I can pin down the source.

Squeak.

It's the hallway. I freeze in the hallway.

Squeak.

Dammit. It's the smoke alarm. The one right up there over the door frame. (Taped over with plastic by the contractor.) Even if I had another battery on me (which, quite clearly, I don't), there's nothing I can do about it. I can't reach it and I don't have a ladder (or even a chair) to stand on. Yep. The fucker is just going to keep beeping all night.

I shut off all the lights (squeak) and leave the house. I lock the door. I walk to my car.

Squeak.

Holy crap. You can hear it outside. Loudly. That damn thing is going to beep all night. I hope my neighbors are protected from it by their walls, but it's possible that they're hearing it right now and hating me before I even move in.

If I can find the time, I'll buy a battery tomorrow morning and drop it by the house. With any luck, the contractor will put 2 and 2 together and replace the damn thing.

No comments: