Saturday, June 25, 2011

Thank You, New York...

... for making California look bad.

Seriously.

Back when I was in Law School, if you wanted to see the forefront of where the law was headed, you'd look to California (and, oddly, New Jersey).  While the courts of California are still in the business of doing their cutting-edge thing, the people of California took a giant step backwards, and now the legislature of New York showed us up.

The New York legislature passed marriage equality; the California legislature can't even pass a budget.  Makes you wonder, doesn't it?

Still, I'm happy for my gay friends for this particular success.  Actually, I'm pretty much just happy for New Yorkers (and, to a degree, Americans in general), regardless of orientation.  This is a civil rights victory, and we should all be celebrating the elimination of a discriminatory law.  I do believe there is only one way this issue will ultimately be resolved, and the sooner we get there, the better.
 

(I still challenge anyone to give me a legitimate argument against gay marriage that does not involve imposing their own personal religious beliefs on everyone else.  Remember civil marriage is not religious marriage.  While a religious leader may "solemnize" a civil marriage; the legal institution is itself purely civil.)

No comments: