Monday, January 1, 2007

Good Thing I'm Not Superstitious

Saturday night, I went out for some Chinese food with friends.  At the end of the meal, we got our fortune cookies.  (I traditionally snap mine open one-handed.)  So, I snap open my cookie and there is no fortune in it.  Everyone else at the table has a fortune, but not me.

When the waiter comes by to pick up our credit card, I ask for another fortune cookie to replace the empty one.  He give me a whole plate of fortune cookies.  I take one off the top and snap it open.  Empty again.

This is getting frustrating (and not just a little weird).  I snap open the third cookie and find a fortune in it. Finally.

Next day -- New Year's Eve -- I'm out for Chinese food with different friends at a different restaurant.  When the fortune cookies come, I recount to them the incident of the night before, while I'm snapping open my fortune cookie.

It's empty.

I drove home totally weirded out.  When I got home, I went over my friends' place to watch the ball drop and be all "Happy New Year!"  They have some of those little cracker things where you hold one between the two of you and you each pull a little tab inside it and it snaps open with a loud bang and various and sundry goodies pop out of it.  Debra and I each grab an end of one to snap on the stroke of midnight.

3

2

1

Pull!  The cracker doesn't snap and the pull tab comes off in my hand.

I get the strangest feeling I need to get right with the universe.

I woke up this morning trying to figure out the empty fortune cookies.  At first, I'd thought it was, you know, bad mojo.  But then I figured that if the Fortune Cookie Spirits (assuming, y'know, that these things actually have any truth whatsoever to them) see something bad in my future, they'd go ahead and say so in a crappy fortune.  Perhaps an empty fortune means that my fortune is not predetermined, and that I have to go out and make my own future.

Which isn't a bad thought as we embark on this new year.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That fortune cookie thing is very weird.  I like your take on it though....that maybe you are going out to make your own future.  It's going to be interesting to see how this year pans out.
Pam

Anonymous said...

Yes, that's what I'd say.  Your fortune is going to be whatever you make of it!  Stick to that story!
Lori
http://journals.aol.com/helmswondermom/DustyPages