Sunday, January 14, 2007

Wardrobe Issues

It's cold.  It's cold.  Holy crap, it's cold.

Yes, I know.  This is California cold.  Folks in points further East would be quick to point out that this isn't really cold.  But you've gotta see where we're coming from.  Earlier this week, we had temperatures in the 80s.  Now it's a good forty degrees below that, and pushing (if not crossing) freezing at night.  We're not supposed to have this sort of temperature mood swing.  It's unnatural.

It has wreaked total havoc on my wardrobe.

OK, to be fair, I've wreaked total havoc on my wardrobe.  Last year, I went through my closet and tossed everything that didn't fit anymore.  My mother told me I shouldn't do that as I might actually fit into this stuff again, but I wasn't getting anywhere attempting to diet and I figured that an acceptance of my then-current body was something necessary so I did the closet-purge.

And now I've lost twenty pounds.

Nothing fits, and that's great -- but I've tossed everything that used to fit. 

And now it's cold.  And, back in September, when I was packing up all my spare stuff to put it in storage when I put my place on the market, I included my big wool coats in the box.  Because I figured I wouldn't need them.  (I distinctly remember saying to myself, "I won't be going to London this year."  There goes that.)  So wool coats and scarves and all that other nice, warm, outerwear I'd turn to right now are in the box in the farthest end of my storage cage.  I'd have to move furniture to get to them.  Seriously.

I was going to the theatre tonight, so needed something to wear.  And it better be warm, because I don't have a wool coat to throw over it.  So I figured I'd stick with jeans, and put long underwear on underneath.  Found the long underwear -- the "large" long underwear I bought for skiing last year.  A little baggy, but ok.  Put them jeans on over them.  So far so good.

Now I have a big wool sweater to wear.  But wool is itchy, so I need something to go underneath.  Where's the long underwear top?  I didn't buy a long underwear top when I went skiing; my only long underwear top was an older silk one which I'd apparently thrown out last year 'cause it was too small.  OK, I'll improvise.  The sweater is beige with a dark brown pattern across the chest; I'll just put a T-shirt on underneath it.  Where's that beige-colored T-shirt my sister gave me forever ago...?  Shoot.  Must've thrown that out too.

I ended up wearing a white T-shirt which had a green image on it.  You could sorta see the green coming through the sweater on the lower part (where it wasn't covered by the pattern) so I spent the whole night hiking up the shirt or pulling down the sweater.

I keep saying that I won't buy any more clothes until I've hit a plateau on my weight and sorta stayed there for awhile, but in cold weather, I'm definitiely running out of options.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean about this being COLD for us.  Burrrrr!!
Pam

Anonymous said...

It's downright nippy here in Phoenix, too.  Much too cold for my blood!
~~Kath~~