Sunday, June 7, 2009

Do these piss anyone else off?

I've been seeing these commercials lately for companies (or lawyers) that will help you get out of tax trouble with the IRS. And there's happy smiling people there saying things like, "I owed the IRS $1,000,000, and I ended up paying only $40,000!"

And we're supposed to think, "Wow, what a great company! Saved these people from having to pay the mean, nasty IRS all that money."

But instead I think, "Hey! We need that $960,000." Seriously. OK, maybe I'm a little sensitive about this because my State -- which happens to be my employer -- is itself verging on economic collapse. But, honestly, California really needs people to actually pay their back taxes just now, and I wouldn't at all be surprised if the federal government felt the same way.

So, when I see these ads, I don't think, "Wow, what a great company!" I think, "You're picking my pocket and I'm supposed to be happy about this?"

1 comment:

Elen said...

They would annoy the crap out of me too!