Monday, December 21, 2009

Sh*t, sh*t, sh*t, sh*t, sh*t

Sound the sirens!  It's a holiday present emergency!

OK, here's what happened.  On Black Friday, Best Buy had a really good DVD sale.  A really good one.  I purchased the Firefly complete series for the low, low price of $15.  This was to be part of a gift for a close friend we'll call "Close Friend."

Sometime later, I came up with a much better (and rather more expensive) gift idea for Close Friend.  I couldn't give her Firefly in addition to the more expensive gift (indeed, someone else is splitting the cost of more expensive gift for Close Friend with me).  So, Firefly is just sitting around my house in the Emergency Gift Cabinet.

Last week, I was invited to a holiday party with a round-robin gift exchange.  I think, for a variety of reasons, that Firefly would be a good gift for this group.  (If anything, my one concern was that they'd all seen/owned it already.)  So, I wrap Firefly up for the party. 

On Thursday, the day before the holiday party, I discovered I needed a small gift for a friend at work.  We'll call her Office Friend.  I may have mentioned her earlier -- she's the one I went "stalking" Nathan Fillion with.

(Smart readers can see where this is going already.  Wish I had.)

I decide on the perfect gift for Office Friend:  the DVD of Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog.  I'm pretty sure she's never seen it.  I order it from Amazon.  It should arrive today.

Meantime, I take Firefly to the party, see that it finds a good home, and congratulate myself on an excellent use of a spare gift.

I run into Office Friend at work this morning.  She tells me that, over the weekend, she got Dr. Horrible from Netflix.  Watched the whole thing.  Including the special features.  Listened to the commentary.  She has fully done the Dr. Horrible thing.  There's nothing left for her to do with Dr. Horrible.  I smile outwardly and think,

"Shit, shit, shit, shit, shit"

That's OK.  I can fix this. 

Well, I could fix it if I still had my $15 copy of Firefly

Black Friday sales being over, Firefly is now back up to $39.99 at BestBuy ($38.50 at Amazon), which is considerably more than, y'know, the "small gift" for Office Friend which I was looking for.

Shit, shit, shit, shit, shit.

OK, new rule:  Everybody has to have an Amazon wish list and nobody is allowed to buy themselves anything between Thanksgiving and New Year's Day.

No comments: