Friday, January 14, 2005

My fellow shoppers

OK, so, a few months ago, I wanted to buy a skirt.

A fall skirt.

Something in, maybe, suede.  A-line.  3/4 length.  I could wear it with boots.

The "A-line" thing was the big issue.  Apparently, when I gain weight, it sets up camp in my hips.  In a somewhat disproportionate amount.  Meaning that while my waist has increased by one size, my hips have gone up about two.  Which makes buying skirts something of a challenge when they're those form-fitting models.  Because if I can get a skirt that fits my waist, by the time it gets to my hips, it's fitting my form WAY too tightly.  And if I happen to get something that fits my hips, it's too loose at the waist and won't stay up.

So.  Must get A-line skirt.

Spent literally HOURS on the internet trying to find one.  Unsuccessfully.  Finally, I found one, reasonably priced, from a mail order outfit I'd never heard of (which shall remain nameless).

They weren't rated with Bizrate or anything.  I wanted to verify their legitimacy before placing the order, so I googled around to see if anyone had commented on them. 

Sure enough, I found some reviews.  And they were positive.

The thing was -- they were on a newsgroup devoted to cross-dressing.

Hey.  I don't care.  Transvestites gotta have quality duds, too.  As long as this company sends what they promise to send, I'm good with it.  So, I ordered the skirt.

It was back-ordered, and it took a few months to arrive.  Finally got here.  It's exactly as advertised; I'm fairly pleased.

The company also shipped one of its catalogs in the box.  I looked through it.  I hadn't poked around their website much, so this was my first chance to get a look at their product line.

Several A-line skirts.  In fact, quite a lot of loose-fitting clothes.  Lots of ladies' shoes -- all having in common the fact that none have a heel higher than one-inch.  Girdles -- ranging in sizes up to a 50-inch waist.

Now, it's been quite some time since I've seen girdles at all -- but I can't remember the last time I'd seen a page of girdles in what was otherwise a normal clothing catalog.  I mean, L.L. Bean doesn't have a girdle department.

And I start to wonder ... even though this catalog is all women's clothing, in various sizes, displayed on female models ... have I, in fact, stumbled upon an operation that, er, caters to the shoppers for ladies' clothing who might be a little more ... male?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gee, ya think?  No moss growing on your rock... LOL

Then again, it used to be one could find page after page of foundation garments in a Sears catalog.  And they weren't intended for the transvestites amongst us, but they didn't discriminate, either, to the best of my knowledge.  Now, women haven't changed THAT much in the past 30 years - there's still the battle of the bulge being waged on more fronts than BowFlex and Thighmaster would have you believe. So it may be the target market is the full-figured woman of substance. Wang Fu will never tell a soul...

Anonymous said...

It could be a catalog for fuller figured women.  Or maybe both women and men.  Who cares if the clothes fit?

Kathy

Anonymous said...

What's a girdle?

... skidaddling