Sunday, January 2, 2005

Resolution About Gaining Weight

I understand many people have New Year's Resolutions to go to the gym and eat healthier and stuff like that.

Yeah, well, I have them too -- although I make that resolution pretty much every week, and still I don't go to the gym or eat healthy.  Probably has something to do with being lazy and detesting most vegetables.  Good thing there's still fruit.  If it wasn't for fruit, I'd probably be dead.

Anyway, with this new year, I'm taking a somewhat different tack to my expanding middle.

Acceptance.

Well, not COMPLETE acceptance.  I'm not throwing in the towel altogether.  I am going to throw out a lot of candy today and replace it with healthier snacks.  And there are a lot of clothes in my closet that are just a SMIDGE too tight and I'm not ready to give up on them yet.  (Particularly since I bought most of them in the past year.)

But it's time to face the facts that some of these clothes are never going to get on my body again, and there's no point in having them take up space in my dresser.  I mean, I've got a closet full of clothes, but I've noticed that -- whenever I'm getting dressed in the morning -- if I don't have clean jeans, I've got "nothing to wear" -- because few of my other trousers fit anymore.

So, last night, I had an unpleasant moment of honesty with a tape measure, and then I got online and ordered some clothes that fit.  (Good thing everything's on sale.)  It was NOT a real good feeling ordering stuff a good THREE SIZES larger than the bulk of stuff in my closet.  ("But, but... I can still get into THOSE pants, and they're not this size.")  But I took my tape measure and the sizing charts seriously, and bought some stuff that should actually FIT.

Promises to get in shape are really easy, but being honest about the body one has GOT has been surprisingly difficult.

Besides, I can always take the waistbands in....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

When you wear  big clothing and you do manage to loose a few pounds its great hearing,

"Gee whiz, NZ, you got a tapeworm or what?"

Gordy
the cycling curmudeon