Saturday, January 14, 2006

This week's homework: Don't MAKE me sing that...

OK, at this link (thanks, "Blog About This Entry" button) ....

Weekend Assignment #94: Evil Earworms

... you'll find this week's homework.  In which Scalzi asks:

Weekend Assignment #94: What's the worst possible song to get stuck in your head? You know: the song that once you hear it you cannot drive from your skull, even with an ice pick and a centrifuge. They have a word for that kind of song: "Earworm." We want to know what you consider to be the most evil earworm possible.

OK, so, I used to hang out with this friend named Vicky.  And whenever one of us wanted to be really cruel to the other, we'd start singing the first few lines of the very worst earworm we knew, in order to inflict it on the other person.  And that song was "Consider Yourself" (from the musical, "Oliver!")  You know, the song the Artful Dodger sings when he's welcoming sweetly annoying little Oliver into Fagin's merry band of pocket-pickers...

"Con-sider yourself.... at home.
Con-sider yourself.... part of the family.
We've taken to you... so strong.
It's clear... we're... going to get along."

All you'd need is for one of us to start the other off on it, and it was earworm city for hours.

.... which, of course, I'm currently experiencing now, thanks to this weekend assignment.  :::shakes fist:::  Damn you, John Scalzi!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hadn't heard that song in years - now its stuck in my head. Thanks :)

betty

Anonymous said...

My worst earworm? The Carpenter's song - "why do birds suddenly appear, everytime you are near?"  It gets stuck in my head for hours.

Anonymous said...

For the longest time, my earworm was Bobby McFarren's BE HAPPY.

I wanted to kill him.