Friday, January 23, 2009

Holy Crap!

I bought a house.

I'm not as amazingly freaked out about this as I was when I bought the condo -- I think it's probably because I've already gone through condo ownership so the idea of having six digits worth of debt doesn't seem nearly as overwhelming as it did before. Well that and the fact that, in this economic climate, a good, solid lender thinks that approving me for this loan is a total no-brainer.

(Actually, I was a bit surprised about that. You may have heard of my employer? The State of California? There's all sorts of stuff coming out of Sacramento that they might run out of money to pay us sometime soon. It pleases me that the suits at my bank are of the opinion that, yeah, I'll keep getting paid.)

But, um, the point here: I BOUGHT A HOUSE!!! Escrow opens today. It's big and it's pretty and it has a massive family room which I think may have once been the garage (as my mother put it, it's a "two-car family room"). And, to my great glee, it even has a small half-bath off the laundry porch which I can turn over to the cat full-time. That's right; my cat will have her own bathroom.

(And if that sounds wasteful, just remember that you'll thank me for it if you ever visit. Because I've spent a few years sharing with her, and while it's pretty adorable to actually be using the bathroom right next to your kitten doing the same exact thing, the charm wears off pretty quick, I assure you.)

I'm sure my posts for the next month will be all about the excitement of termite inspections, home inspections, title reports, and lending documents. On the other hand, they also might be about paint colors and furniture shopping. :)

5 comments:

neil said...

Congrats!

Linda :) said...

Congratulations!!

Unknown said...

Yea! congrads!

Wil said...

Sincere congratulations. Let the Escrow Games begin...

Reinvent Dad said...

Wow, how exciting.