Thursday, November 11, 2010

Happy Veterans Day!

So... you folks served the country with honor, and I get to sleep in on a Thursday.  I'm not quite sure how that happened.  (Before my boss, a Navy vet, left yesterday, I wished him a Happy Veterans Day.  He wished me one, too, which, again, seemed a bit odd.  Well, I mean, I s'pose he'd wish me a Happy Veterans Day in the same sense he'd wish me a Good Morning, but it struck me kind of like it would be if he wished me a Happy Fathers Day.  Superficially nice, but oddly inapplicable.)

Was pleased to see John Oliver wearing a poppy on last night's Daily Show.  I was once offered one for sale when I happened to be in England in November, and had no idea what it meant, why everyone was wearing one, and why some dude was trying to get me to buy one.  I wish he'd explained.

2 comments:

Wil said...

In Flanders Fields

By: Lieutenant Colonel John McCrae, MD 1872-1918
Canadian Army

In Flanders Fields the poppies blow

Between the crosses row on row,

That mark our place; and in the sky

The larks, still bravely singing, fly

Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago

We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,

Loved and were loved, and now we lie

In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:

To you from failing hands we throw

The torch; be yours to hold it high.

If ye break faith with us who die

We shall not sleep, though poppies grow

In Flanders fields.

Anonymous said...

We encountered the poppy question the first time we were in London, too.