Saturday, November 26, 2011

Pics from Capitoline Museum

These last pics are from the Capitoline Museum. 

This one is mandatory -- anyone going to Rome is required to take a picture of Romulus and Remus being suckled by the she-wolf.  I'm not sure they let you out of the country without this shot, but I didn't want to risk it.


Here is the really cool statue of Marcus Aurelius, now displayed inside the museum what 'cause the elements were damaging it.


Here's ruins of some temple they found when they were building this room in which to house the statue.  Check Marcus Aurelius in the background -- it's like, right there, so they made it part of a lower level of the museum.


Here's the ancient law thing I mentioned:


And, finally, the statute of the Dying Gaul.  I mentioned earlier that I thought this one might be known only through the Roman copy, and it turns out I remembered correctly on that one.  So, I mean, this is the only way we know this statue.  Two things I remember about it from Art History class -- (1) we're talking about the Hellenistic period here, where the emotional intensity of the moment made its way into the physicality of the work -- so, I mean, check out the guy's hair for crying out loud; and (2) the Gaul was an enemy -- this is one of the earlier times in art history where we see sympathy for the enemy; he's not portrayed as weak or a monster, he's a man wounded in battle, dying with dignity.



No comments: