Wednesday, November 24, 2004

Seinfeld

Am I the only one who is way not excited about the Seinfeld DVDs?

You might think I should be.  I watched the show regularly when it was on -- but I was a little late to the party, so watching the first and second seasons on DVD would probably fill in a few gaps.

But the fact is, I lost interest in the show after the last episode.  In a huge way.

I mean, here's me, tuning in to the antics of these four people on a weekly basis -- and then the show, in its last episode, makes a point of pointing out what lousy self-centered people they are.  And I thought, "You know what?  You're right.  Why am I wasting my time watching these losers?"  I mean, there's no point in quoting lines from the show when you're quoting lines from jerks.  And why should I feel sympathetic to them when they get themselves in trouble when, now that I think about it, they pretty much deserve what they get?

Prior to the final episode, I had enjoyed tuning in every week -- whether the show was new or in reruns.  But after that, I never watched it again.  Not in syndication, not ever.

I've never known a show to so clearly kill itself for me in a single episode.  Perhaps Jerry & the gang felt like it was necessary to point out to the audience that we'd been watching characters who were really just terrible people -- but it had the effect of chiding us, the viewers, for actually enjoying it.  Result:  an instant case of the "I don't care"s.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was never a big fan of Seinfeld precisely because I could not have cared less about the people, esp. Kramer.  

Anonymous said...

I agree with you totally.  I was also late coming to the show, I'm not much of a TV fan, but it eventually dawned on me that they were the most self involved, nasty people that I had ever spent time with.  Enough was enough and I found something else to do.  Pennie

Anonymous said...

I'm with you!  Ugh.  I still can't believe I ever watched that show.