Friday, February 4, 2011

Greetings from Tahoe

Well, the official decision was "not to ski," although there's a bit of an asterisk on it which has to do with if I can unload the pre-purchased lift tickets.  We bought some at a discount at REI, and will happily sell them for what we paid for them -- but I don't know if the Northstar people frown upon this sort of thing, so we might have to stand off to the side and do that "psst, lift tickets for sale" thing.  (I remember selling extra theatre tickets in London -- the accepted practice is apparently to stand a respectful distance away from the box office, with your arms crossed and the tickets peeking out in one hand -- until an equally respectful ticket-buyer asks if they're for sale, at which time you walk a bit further away and politely carry out your transaction.)  I assume extra lift tickets have to get unloaded all the time, what with people falling down and giving up, but we'll see.

In the meantime, I am safely ensconced in our lovely condo -- a fairly massive unit with lovely views right in the center of the resort.  Flight was uneventful; dinner was uneventful; getting here was uneventful.  Probably the most difficult thing about this part of the journey was finding the password for the Wi-Fi -- it is on a really big piece of paper taped to the side of the wireless router, but it took us a bit before we looked there.  In the meantime, we tried various obvious passwords -- as the password is, in fact, obvious, we might have tripped on it soon enough, but noticing the big piece of paper on the side of the router was even better.

Everyone else is asleep -- that probably happens a lot when you've got a 3-year old with you.  I'll probably take advantage of this trip to get my sleep schedule a little closer to normal, but I can't do it all in one day.  Putting it another way, it's 10:41 right now, and I have been awake for just over 12 hours, so it's pretty difficult to get myself in the mood to pack it in for the night.

(On the other hand, after having had a big dinner, I'm pretty much out of calories for the night, so I'm not going to sit in front of the TV eating pretzels for the next 3 hours, either.)

Tomorrow:  skating and ... dunno. 

No comments: