Monday, October 18, 2004

Trip Journal -- Day Three, Second Entry

11 Oct. 2004 -- later.

Waited near the bar all of Happy Hour to pay my debt to Andrew in alcohol, but he never came near.  I saw him later and thanked him again.  He waved it off.

So, the one-hour kayak ride.  My partner had broken her foot back in Portland, so it was my chance to steer and find out whether the rudder really was idiot proof.  And other than a minor mishap with some rushes, I'd say it went pretty well.

Kayaking went a little longer than scheduled, as pointed out when our guide said we'd been out 45 minutes and were a half hour from the boat.  I was pretty zonked by then --(Later, the bartender said they used to "advise against" doing the hike and kayaking.  Now they tell me) -- so we kept stopping to rest.  My partner and I tried to take our minds off the paddling by talking.

Eventually, I commented that I was trying to find a song with the right rhythm to match our stroke, as these things work best for me with a tune running hrough my head.  After I sang a verse of "It's Raining Men" (first thing that popped into my head), I casually mentioned that I generally hum showtunes.  Turns out girlfriend knew her musicals, so we ended up paddling back with her naming a show and me singing a verse or two from it.  We ultimately pulled in to the boat platform giggling and singing a duet of "Dance 10, Looks 3" (aka "Tits and Ass") from A Chorus Line.

No comments: