Tuesday, October 14, 2008

The Catnip Banana

A friend at work gave me a banana-shaped toy filled with catnip for my cat.

And now, for your amusement, my interpretation of Jasmine's thought-processes upon being presented with the catnip banana....

What are you waving in front of me? Yes, I can see that it's a toy, but it's a big toy. I don't like big toys. I like little toys that I can bat around. Does this look like something I can bat around? No. Then why would I play with it? OK, fine. I shall humor you by smelling the toy, then I will walk away with my tail in the air expressing my indifferen--

Hey.

Let me sniff that again.

OMG! OMG! OMG! I have to have that! Give me the banana! Yes! Give it to me now! Now, human! Now!

Ha Ha! I've got it! The banana is mine! I'm queen of the world! I'm the best cat ever! I am so awesome! I can do anything! I can bounce off the walls! Look at me! Bouncing off the walls!

But how to get more of this delightful aroma? Perhaps if I rip into the banana, its catnippy goodness will spill out all over me and I can frolic in its leaves until I pass out -- and then happily spend the next few days picking little bits out of my fur.

But. I. Can't. Get. It. Open.

Perhaps if I hold it in my rear paws and then rip it with my teeth? Yes, yes, that's it. Kick more! Kick more! Rip more!

Hmmm. This is made of sturdy stuff. I shall continue ripping at it.

Wait.

Those dozens of holes I've made in it with my teeth? That gets me even closer to the stuff inside! Smell it now! Oh yes! Bliss! I must rub myself all over with this toy! Then I can carry its joyous scent with me wherever I go! Think of the power! Oh yes! YES!!

I wuv you, banana.

What's that I hear in the distance? I know that sound. That's human laughter. Didn't I know a human once? I think I might have. Doesn't matter now. I have the banana!!!!

1 comment:

Lori said...

I'm so happy for Jasmine! I know not all cats react that way to catnip, but my sister had one that would rub the catnip toy all over himself in order to deal with an obstreperous young kitten. He never liked it before then. But he'd put himself into a little high and then he's let that kitten play all around him.