Wednesday, May 11, 2005

What's Appropriate at the Ball Park

Went to a Dodger Game the other day.

Some people in the crowd were throwing around a beach ball.  A woman got hold of the ball, and apparently did not pass it in the direction the rest of the crowd had in mind.

Dude sitting in front of me called her a "stupid [f-word] whore." 

(Course he actually SAID the f-word.)

He yelled it.  In a crowded ballpark.  Nobody said a word.

Later that night, everyone in my section started standing up.  I couldn't figure out why, but stood up so I could see, too.  Turns out, there was some guy about 15 rows in front of us who had stood up to take off his shirt.

Dude in front of me tells him to, "Sit down, you [f-word] [other f-word that's a derogatory term for a homosexual]."

I was APPALLED.  I was even more appalled that nobody said anything.  Had he made a similar comment which was race-based rather than sexual-orientation based, I expect everyone in earshot would have kicked his butt from here to Tuesday.  But since it was about orientation, nobody said anything.

(I sure didn't.  I'm small and female.  And I bruise easy.)

The now-shirtless guy yelled back at the dude in front of me, "I was just taking off my shirt."  To which the dude came up with, "I don't see no sun."

To which I burst out laughing.  Sad that he apparently had the quickness of mind to actually come up with a witty retort, but preferred incendiary foul-mouthed insults instead.

No comments: