Thursday, August 28, 2008

Give Up; Go Home

It's about 1:30 by the time I get back -- I've been Not Paragliding since 9:30.  I decide to wander down to the harbor and poke around there; maybe get some lunch.

I poke around.  I note that there's kayak rentals here.  For the nice calm waters of the harbor.  And they have both kinds of kayaks.  I'm too wiped to do this now, but I make a mental note of this for future Santa Barbara trips. 

I find a nice seafood restaurant and get a table outside with a view of the harbor.  I eat a yummy skewer with a chunk of salmon, two shrimp, and a scallop on it.  (I reflect that the last time (and also the first time) I ate a scallop was when I was in Santa Barbara for Peggy's wedding.  Scallops and Santa Barbara are now forever linked.)

It's 3:30.  My train is at 7:00.  I realize there isn't much I want to do for the next 3 hours, so get my bags and haul out to the Amtrak station to see if I can't catch an earlier train.  (And be home in time for dinner.  And not have to wander the creepy Amtrak parking lot at 10:00 p.m.)  Amtrak can, indeed, move me to the 4:30 train.  I ticket it. 

The train is delayed, and doesn't actually come until 5:20.  (I think:  seasick, fell out of kayak, no wind for paragliding -- why does delayed train not surprise me?)  We hit LA around 8; I find my car with a minimal amount of confusion (and only one slightly creepy deserted staircase); and get home. 

Cat is happy to see me.  I am happy to see her.

And now:  dinner and bed.

No comments: