Saturday, May 15, 2004

Homework: Brushes With Fame

This week, John Scalzi asks us:

>>Recount your most memorable encounter with celebrity. If you haven't met anyone famous and don't know anyone who has, here's an alternate assignment: Reveal your first celebrity crush (and of course, for extra credit, do both).<<

I could have sworn I'd already written about my brushes with greatness -- but I skimmed my older entries and couldn't find it, so I'll write it up (perhaps for the second time). 

As I mentioned in the entry just below, I am something of a theatre person.  Because of that, I've had a lot of encounters with theatre-type celebrities.  It's the nature of the beast -- you can see a movie thousands of miles away from anyone associated with it, but when you see a play, you're breathing the same air as the cast and crew.  I've been joked with by actors onstage during plays; I've taken part in talk-backs; I've gotten autographs at stage doors; I've done interviews for fan clubs; and I was engaged in popcorn fight as part of a show.  In addition: I've gotten a music recommendation from ice dancer Christopher Dean; my dad got me Mr. T's autograph (twice in the same day); and Larry Gatlin called me beautiful (and I beamed for hours).

That said, my most memorable celebrity encounter has nothing to do with that.  I had just moved to Philadelphia.  I had a small apartment and was walking the three blocks away to a nearby shopping mall to buy some basics I'd need for my first night (I believe "lamp" was on the top of the list).  Across the street, some guy had set up a keyboard and was playing music on the corner.  He was good, but I didn't really pay much attention to him.  While I was waiting for the light to change, a stranger who was waiting with me said, "Do you know who that is?"  "No," I replied.  "That's BeBe Winans!" he said.  He added, "I'm sorry to bother you.  I was just so excited, I had to share it with someone."

It was the first encounter I'd had with a Philadelphia local, and it made me think that maybe there was something to the whole "City of Brotherly Love" thing.  Living in the center of a city, I'd expected to be accosted by strangers asking for money -- I'd never expected the first stranger I'd met to just want to share a moment of joy with me.  So, thanks, BeBe, for indirectly welcoming me to Philadelphia.

Extra Credit:  First celebrity crush -- Leonard Nimoy as Mr. Spock.  Brains is sexy, people.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL.  I've heard your fascination to Dr. Spock before.  and it still makes me giggle.

you are one of a kind.  thank god.

Anonymous said...

OOPS..........LOL................i meant "Mr" Spock, not "Dr" Spock.............LMAO!!!!!

well you have to see that it was a VERY easy mistake to make.  they are quite similar afterall.   Kisses!!

Anonymous said...

"Leonard Nimoy as Mr. Spock"

Why did I never know this?