Thursday, May 20, 2004

The Spelling Nazi is Out

It's a little late.  I saw a show this evening and, putting on my theatre critic hat, wrote up the review immediately afterward. 

I normally do not do this.  For two reasons.

First, I generally like to think about the show for a day or so.  Let my initial impressions swirl around, let thoughts percolate to the surface, let sentences start writing themselves in my subconscious -- that sort of thing. 

Second, I find it difficult to write after midnight. 

The key word in that sentence is "write."  I don't find it difficult to think after midnight or to work after midnight.  In fact, it's kind of nice.  It's quiet and peaceful -- and there's something oddly comforting about the clicking of my keyboard being the only sound.  But the actual act of writing is a different story.  For some reason, the connection between the part of my brain in charge of spelling and my fingers just turns itself off at midnight.  Ditto Proofreading Central.  It is a wonder that anything resembling a complete sentence can make its way from my head to this screen after the clock strikes twelve.

For this reason, I've developed a simple rule when IMing friends:  There is no grading for spelling or punctuation after midnight.  If you stick an unnecessary apostrophe in "its" at 11:59, I'll mock you mercilessly -- but if you wait a minute, I won't touch it.  Heck, you can send me a softball like accidentally calling that Disney movie with Simba "The Loin King," and, if it's 12:01, I'll just assume you meant "Lion" and act like nothing happened.  After midnight, it's a free pass!

No comments: