Tuesday, May 4, 2004

How Hot Is It?

It was so hot yesterday I couldn't get in my front door.

I'm serious. 

I'm sure this has something to do with things expanding in the heat or some such other thing I should've been paying more attention to in Physics class -- but the bottom line is:  when it gets particularly toasty, the deadbolt freezes (ironic choice of word) in the locked position.

Yesterday, the deadbolt was so enthusiastic about staying in the locked position, I had to set down everything I was carrying so I could use both hands to apply force to the key.  And I was pushing so hard on that thing, I thought it fairly likely that the key would snap in two.

(It works in reverse, too.  Once I got inside, I couldn't then lock the door without throwing the full weight of my body against it.)

This isn't normal, is it?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

At least your door shuts. In the summer, it gets so hot that my doors warp and I cannot get them closed! Good luck!

Anonymous said...

i can honestly say i haven't had this problem with my home door anyway.  My car door is a completely different story.  for some reason my car locks love to freeze.  i often think i should buy stock in the Deicer companies of the world.  Heat doesnt' affect them though.    Useless comment, i know.  sorry, can't always be brilliant (yeah, right)

Anonymous said...

LOL, this is funny!  Sounds familiar to me, too.  I live on North TX black clay soil.  It swells up when it rains and shrinks into huge cracks when it's dry, so houses shift & buckle like an amusement park ride around here.  I had a neighbor who moved in during the spring when everything was wet.  She didn't like the doors fitting tight & hired a guy to come saw all of them down like a 1/2 inch.  Then in the summertime when the ground dried up, not a single door in her house would stay closed!  
Thanks for visiting my journal..... ¤Holly