Monday, June 18, 2007

Kayaking and Glacier Bay Photos

In honor of Fathers' Day (sorry, Dad, you would've gotten a call if I'd had a functioning cell phone or been home at a decent hour), I give you:  me and my Dad in a kayak, in Sitka.

I also supply Glacier Bay photos.  Now, we did see wildlife in Glacier Bay.  I'm showing you the bear we saw, so you will be able to contrast it with the bear we later saw at the Taku Glacier Lodge.  For now, take a look at this bear which I photographed with my zoom lens at its zoomiest.  The bear would be that dark spot in the middle of the picture.

I increase the resolution and crop as I go in.  This is the best I can make it.  You have to admit, the blob looks vaguely bear-like.

OK, on to Glacier Bay.  Where we actually saw glaciers!  Here's one:

Here's another one:

In the interest of dumbing down the science to easily memorable talking points, our Exploration Leader explained that the one and only thing you need in order to get a glacier is more snow accumulating than melting.  So that's what these guys are.  Big piles of snow that never melts and just keeps piling on and on until it gets so densely packed it turns into ice.  There's more to it than that, of course, but I think it explains the photos.

I took a bazillion pictures in Glacier Bay.  The beauty of Glacier Bay is that even a lousy photographer will take at least a few good shots.  It's pretty hard to screw up Glacier Bay.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yep, you got some good ones.

And, whoever got the photo of you and your father knew their business, now didn't they? Lighthouse, nicely framed, focused.

So, would you do it again? What would you differently? Any additional caveats come to mind, now that you are home?

wil