Friday, June 22, 2007

Taku Glacier Lodge (in pix)

OK, these are the pics of the other thing we did from Juneau -- taking a float plane out to Taku Glacier Lodge.

So, we took a float plane over the ice field.  Amazing views.

Check out the detail on this glacier.  Especially how amazingly jagged it is.  And blue, inside the crevices.

 

Ok, ok ... just one more.

All right.  So, we land at this lodge.  There is an outdoor grill where a guy is cooking salmon.

Just makes your mouth water, right?  Well, it does if you're these two:

(Now, that, my friends, is what a picture of some bears should look like.  None of this bear-shaped blob stuff I got in Glacier Bay.)

Although, I admit, my favorite shot of these bears is this one.  Don't they look like Yogi and Boo-boo peeking around the tree sneaking a look at a pic-a-nic basket?

And, finally, here's me "in front of" the glacier.  OK, yeah, I'm a little small in comparison to its glacial ... glacialness, but I think that's part of what I totally dug about the Taku Glacier Lodge. 

Years ago, I went to London, and took a small day trip out to Stonehenge.  And what people always ask about Stonehenge is how itfelt -- y'know, like you're supposed to feel some mystical connection to the Earth just by standing in its presence.  But the thing about a day trip to Stonehenge is that you're there with a busload of people.  Which is one of about twenty busloads there at that particular time.  And you walk around the ropes that cordon off Stonehenge, and crank up the music on your Walkman (yes, Walkman -- it was in the late 80s) and try to feel alone in the middle of the crowd so that you can have your moment of spiritual connection ... and then some kid flies by on roller blades.

But here ... here there are about 50 people at the Lodge ... and there's plenty of places for those people to be (in the lodge, watching the guy cook salmon, taking bear pictures, checking out the gift shop...) and you can stand where I was standing and be absolutely alone with something as majestic and old as a glacier.  I felt humbled by the Earth.

No comments: