Thursday, October 18, 2007

Oh, the (costume) pressure

Thanks for all your advice on the hat.  Actually, I put together several of your ideas and came up with a reasonable solution.

I dropped by the fabric store and bought some craft glue and a yard of el-cheapo black polyester.  Figured I could get one of those plastic or styrofoam boater hats (also called "skimmers" apparently), cover it in black fabric, and be done.  I even bought a nice piece of ribbon to wrap around said hat.

Then went to Party City for to purchase one styrofoam or plastic boater hat.  Or any hat of similar shape.  I should note here that I have previously purchased hats of this type at stores of this type.

Party City offers thousands of Halloween costumes.  Which are apparently taking the place of all their normal merchandise, including the boater hats.  Not to be found anywhere.

Walked from one end of the mall to the other looking for a hat I could cover in black fabric.  Many hats.  Many ugly hats.  Many ugly expensive hats.  Nothing even vaguely skimmer-like.

Came home depressed.  Tried ebay again, now that I'd discovered the "skimmer" term.  Found someone selling three of said hats (in plastic) for five bucks.  Five more bucks for two-day shipping, and I should have the little buggers by Tuesday.  With that and all the decorating supplies, this hat is going to cost me $30.

That solved, I went over to the website selling the other prop.  You know, the I said I could easily get for $40.

I can still get it. 

It ships in two to four weeks.

This is not good. 

This costume needs two of three identifying props.  I've (hopefully) solved the hat problem, but now I've got to deal with the other two.  Neither can be found for a reasonable price, so I'm looking at trying to jury-rig one of them.

Something tells me it isn't going to be easy.

No comments: