Thursday, August 26, 2004

Fascinating Olympic-Related Fact About Me

I have a diving bathing suit.  Well, come to think of it, I guess it would just be called a "diving suit," although that sounds rather like that whole tuxedo-under-the-scuba-gear thing James Bond wears.

But, last year, I found myself in need of a bathing suit, and I needed it around, say October.  You try finding a bathing suit in the department stores around October.  Especially if you're kinda particular about the suit you want what 'cause you don't have one of them bodies that's made for every swimsuit, if you know what I mean.

And then I discovered ... the internet!  The internet has bathing suits for sale all year 'round!  And the selection was extremely spiffy.  You can actually decide exactly how high you want your suit cut up your thigh!  I ended up with a Speedo model diving suit, which looks exactly like the one the American springboard diver was wearing in competition today.

So, when watching the diving, I've been trying to figure out what exactly makes a diving suit a diving suit.  I mean, I know runners are aiming for aerodynamic and swimmers are aiming for hydrodynamic -- but what do divers look for in their suits?  I'd like to know the full set of advantages of my own personal diving Speedo.  So, from watching the diving semi-finals, I've concluded the advantages of a diving suit are:  (a) nothing is particularly binding so you have full range of motion--particularly in the arms and back; (b) it doesn't ride up all that much; and (c) it is quite high in front, apparently designed to keep one's Northern regions from bouncing around during a reverse two-and-half with one-and-half twists.

I'm good with that.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My Speedo is made of camouflage. So I blend in with the surrounding tile.  Mrs. L