Sunday, April 4, 2004

So, what was the mini-series? (2 of 3)

The thing that was so wild about "The One Game" is that Nick never knew who else was playing. It was a game that intruded on reality, and was largely indistinguishable from it. Sure, when Nick showed up at a particular address Magnus sent him to, he would know something game-related was going to happen. But, outside of that, he never knew if the guy driving his bus, the beggar asking for spare change, ... heck, even his ex-wife ... were actually playing roles in the game.

(In one scene -- a rather famous one in the world of cult television -- Nick, by chance, picks up a parcel a driver left by the side of the road for delivery to a nearby town. When Nick enters the town, he finds it deserted, except for some snipers who open fire on him. Nick dives for cover in one of the houses, which are also deserted. He opens the parcel, and finds a gun he can use to shoot back. Nick barely gets out of the town alive. In fact, he ends up rescuing another guy who got caught in the cross-fire and took a bullet in the arm. Nick damn near carries this guy out of Dodge, and sets him in his car to drive him to the hospital. The guy thanks him, removes what was a fake arm covered with blood, laughs maniacally, and throws a clue envelope at Nick. I was so hooked.)

I mean, this was the EIGHTIES. I'd played a little D&D in my day, and the idea of a role playing game that actually invaded life struck me as the Coolest Thing Ever.

.... People have drawn a comparison between "The One Game" and that Michael Douglas movie "The Game" -- and the latter may well owe a debt to the former. I certainly noticed the similarity (and, actually, had wished "The Game" would've been more like "The One Game.")

But, what absolutely knocked me off my ass when watching "The One Game" again this week is that I've freakin' PLAYED it, and didn't even realize the similarity when I did.

No comments: