Sunday, January 11, 2004

Long Vacations

I loved the trip to New Zealand. Loved it loved it loved it. Don't get me wrong. But I'm thinkin' that the vacation itself was a tad too long.

It was, in fact, the longest vacation I'd ever taken.

It was long enough for me to, um, get USED to not being here. Normally, when I get back from a vacation, I'm all relaxed and reinvigorated and ready to jump right back into life: work, reviewing, doing the laundry, paying bills, cleaning the litter box.

Not so this time. The first week back was a total waste. It's been about a month now, and I'm still not quite back into the swing of things -- oh, I'm productive enough at work, I'm getting reviews written, the laundry is done, the bills are paid, the litter box is duly dumped -- but everything seems a little bit off. Even my journalling seems a little awkward since I've been back.

I think it's just because I was "off duty" for so long, I'm having a little trouble getting back into the routine. I kinda got USED to waking up each morning and having fun.

I'm not complaining, mind you -- the trip was certainly wonderful, and I wouldn't change a minute of it (well, ok (glacier) maybe a MINUTE (glacier)) -- but, in the future, I think I'm keeping my vacations down to two weeks or less. Anything more and I seem to get ATTACHED to it.

And that's no good -- at least not for the next 25 years or so.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

YOUR NORMAL! You don't like the treadmill, you discovered vacation is more fun than work. Sheesh, of course it is hard to return. My plan is only to return to full time 100% productive at the most one week before vacation begins so I have plenty of time to taper before I take a vacation. The people that are sick are the ones that can't take all their vacation. Or delay retirement until they are incapable of doing anything. YOU ARE FINE. Gordy