Tuesday, November 4, 2003

An Open Letter to the LA Times (part 1 of 2)

Dear Los Angeles Times,

Upon receipt of this letter, please cancel my subscription.

I have been a Sunday Only subscriber for approximately 11 years.  Clearly that is not sufficient for you, as your representatives seem hell-bent on making me subscribe to the full week of your paper, usually by promising me free papers for the rest of the week for six weeks, in the hopes that I will become so enamored of your reportage, that I'll ask to continue the service at my cost.

Some years ago, the phone calls magically ceased when I told the salesperson, "I do not want the paper during the week, and if you call me again I will cancel my Sunday Only subscription."  I had several years of bliss -- you gave me the Sunday paper, I paid for it, and nobody called me.

A few weeks ago, one of your more aggressive salespeople called, trying to tempt me with the same offer.  I was unable to get a word in edgewise to explain my lack of interest, as he kept silencing my protests with, "Ma'am, you're not listening to me -- I'm offering you free papers."  I finally lost my temper and said, "If you don't shut the f- up, ..."  I never finished my threat, as he hung up.

I then dialed your customer service department and politely told you that I wanted to be placed on your "Do Not Call" list.  Your representative said I'd be immediately placed on the list, and tried to give me the number for the national registry.  I know that number.  I'm already registered.  What I need is for you -- a company with whom I do business so is therefore exempted -- to leave me alone.  I told your representative what I had been unable to tell the marketer -- if you call me again, I'm cancelling the subscription.  Enough is enough.

No comments: