Sunday, November 30, 2003

Sheep

How could I possibly be in New Zealand this long and not mention sheep?  The little buggers are everywhere.  They outnumber the people in this country something like 30 to 1.

Saw my first New Zealand sheep when we were touching down at Christchurch airport.  (I looked at my watch and realized that, yes, it was less than 24 hours since I first arrived in this country.)

Ate my first New Zealand sheep last night.  Well, not the whole thing.  Just some "lamb shank."  Don't know why, but I kinda felt sorry for the little lamb.  It's odd because I eat loads of beef, and don't give a hoot for the cows -- and I also eat lamb and (gasp) veal and don't really give much of a thought for the critters in question at all.  But after seeing loads of sheep grazing away in pastures, with their furry little legs reminding me ever so slightly of my kitten, I just felt weird eating it.

It *was* tasty though.

I've been having a bit of trouble finding someone to take my business today.  At first I wanted to do a 1/2-day Nature Walk, but I was apparently the only person signed up and they won't run it with just one person.  Then I thought I'd try tandem hangliding (why the heck not?) -- well, I'll tell you why not:  it's too windy.  They aren't going up today.  Finally settled on a horse trek.  They'll pick me up in an hour or so. 

Update on the sandfly bites:  They ITCH!!!  Woke up in the middle of the night itching.  Went to the "chemist" today to get some stuff for them.  Had barely gotten halfway through asking, "Do you have something to make the sandfly bites stop itching?" when she went behind the counter and gave me a tube of ointment.  It's working.  Sort of. 

No comments: