Friday, November 28, 2003

Weeeeeeeeeeee! (1 of ?)

Yeah, so, 4:30 I meet up the shuttle bus to go out to the Canyon Swing.  There are 9 of us on the bus -- 6 from a tour group, me, and two other people travelling solo.  It is at this point that I realize I am the oldest person in the group.  Bad thought.

We drive up to a point over the Shotover Canyon, and then walk out to the swingoff point.  (I get winded walking out there.  I make a note to self to switch to a wussier glacier walk than the one I am signed up for.  After all the emails I've sent the Glacier Walk Guides, I expect they know me by now.)  We stand at a viewing area a little ways away, while the first three people from our group go down to the swing and put on their harnesses.

I look down at the canyon below.  It does not look that far away.  The first person jumps.  Now I'm scared.  I see him WAY down in the canyon below, and he looks really, really tiny.  I previously mentioned my lack of depth perception -- now that there is a person down in the canyon, I have a frame of reference and realize exactly what 109 meters looks like.  I realize I'm going to have to do this soon or I'm going to give up.

I also realize that there are no port-a-potties out here.  The men in our group just go out and find trees.  (Clearly, the desire to empty one's bladder after seeing the first guy jump was a universal one.)  The four of us girls just crossed our legs.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ergh. I don't know about this. I'd have had visions of being pushed off the ledge (wearing the harness, of course) and screaming and peeing all the way down.