Wednesday, December 3, 2003

The Half-Day Glacier Walk (1 of ?)

OK, memo to the people who run the Glacier Walks -- when someone writes you saying they don't think they're fit enough to do the full Half Day Walk and would rather sign up for the Lazy Person's Version, you say "YES."  I had planned on discretion being the better part of valor, and instead ended up with blisters and bruises on the better part of me.

So, I show up for the (regular version for persons of average fitness) Half Day Glacier Walk.  They start by giving us boots.  (Can't wear your own.  Gotta wear theirs.)  Thanks to Peggy, I knew I needed size 3 boots (the smallest they had) with two pair of socks.  At first, they wouldn't let me take two pair of socks -- I had to try on the boots first and have them slip off my feet before they issued me a second pair.  Boots were still too big.  But we were boarding the bus and there was nothing they could do about it anyway.

The only thing they made SURE everyone had was a bag with "Ice Talonz," which we'd put on when we got to the icy part of the glacier.  (By the way, that's a three-syllable word out here.  Every time someone pronounces it, I am reminded of the French word "glace" from which I am certain it comes.)  ANYWAY, despite the written materials promising hiking poles and rain jackets, we somehow ended up on the bus without any of that stuff.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

size 3 boots?  my goodness!  you have teeny tiny feet!  lol