Monday, December 22, 2003

Man, I Am So Mad At Myself

I have a pierced ear. Singular.

It started out as a matched set, back in college.

Sometime in the past few years, I stopped wearing earrings, and the little buggers closed up.

One day, in a feat of major stupidity, I decided to, y'know, reopen them. I still had my piercing studs, and armed with copious amounts of alcohol (the kind you pour on the earrings, not the kind you imbibe -- although I imagine the latter is usually involved in acts of this nature), I forced the studs through my half-closed earring holes.

For about six weeks, I kept those buggers in, twisting them every morning and night, and dousing them with alcohol. After a week or so, they stopped hurting; and after six, I had nicely repierced ears.

My folks bought my some lovely diamond earrings for my birthday.

Here's the problem with lovely diamond earrings: the people that make them don't want them to accidentally fall out of your ears. So rather than put them on normal studs with normal backs, the posts are all corkscrewed up, and the backs screw on.

This is all well and good if you put them on once and never take them out. If you decide you don't want to wear your nice pretty diamond earrings all the time, putting them in and taking them out scrapes up the inside of your piercing, what 'cause the posts aren't smooth.

I didn't want to wear them all the time, so took them off and put them on a lot. When I'd take them off, one of the piercings would start to bleed. Over the time I was in New Zealand and not wearing any earrings, it scabbed up and healed over.

So. I'm gonna have to repierce it AGAIN. I'm thinking this time I might actually go to a shop with a piercing gun -- for some reason, I just don't feel up to shoving a piercing stud through my ear with brute force again. And I am SO pissed off that I went through all that pain and trouble doing this six months ago and will have to do it again.

I'm getting those diamond studs put on new backs, though; that's for damn sure.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I soooo know what you are talking about, with the corkscrew crap on diamond studs! I HATE that. I didn't have the problem that you had so much...with the scraping, etc. But it was annoying as heck! Those backs DID NOT last long with me!