Monday, March 8, 2004

23B (2 of 2)

Getting on the plane flying home, I was assigned seat 23B.  Now, I had a pretty good idea where this could be found.  Let's run through all available data: 
-
I've flown before.  Every plane I've ever been on before is numbered front to back and left to right.  I can assume this plane is set up the same way.
- So, I'm thinkin' about 23 rows back, and on the left aisle.
- I know it's a left aisle because I was promised an aisle seat, and something labelled "B" ain't gonna be on the right.
- Besides which, there's 2 seats on the left, and calling the window "A" and the aisle "B" would make so much darned sense.

- Just in case I missed it, there are row numbers on each aisle seat and on the overhead compartments
- There are row and seat numbers on the armrest of each seat, to confirm any tentative seating decision I might make.
- I had been on an identical aircraft flying TO London, and was in 22B on that flight.  A reasonable inference would put 23B right behind it.
In short, I'm about as certain as I can be that I can find 23B without flight attendant assistance.

When I get on the plane, the American flight attendant does not ask (as her English counterpart did) "Do you need help finding your seat?"  No.  Instead, she asks each and every person boarding, "What seat are you in?" so that she can helpfully direct you to the right location in the plane.

Argh.  I feel like enough of a small child in that they no longer trust us with actual silverware.  Must they compound the plastic fork experience by treating us like we're unable to find "B" in an alphabet without professional assistance?

No comments: