Wednesday, March 3, 2004

In brief (ha) (1 of ?)

I probably should have explained something about me going to London before I left.  There wasn't nearly the excitement over this trip as there was over New Zealand because this is a short trip and I've kind of done it before.  Kind of a few times.  I come; I see plays; I have tea; I leave.  This is sort of my standard "old form" type of vacation, which I've done on a semi-regular basis to some place that has lots of plays (generally London or New York) -- pretty much until a trip to Australia (which, for the record, involved theatre) changed everything when I innocently took a one-day cruise in the Great Barrier Reef, and decided that maybe, just maybe, there's more to vacations than sitting in dark rooms with several hundred other people being entertained.

Well, that was one hell of a run-on sentence, but you get the idea.  This is standard Old-Form Vacation.  I planned this trip because fares were really cheap and I still ENJOY theatre trips, but, frankly, between you and me, I don't think I'll be doing them nearly as often.  Two reasons for this:  First, being a (part-time) theatre critic now requires me to see a heck of a lot of plays in L.A., so going to theatre while I'm on vacation doesn't seem quite as appealing.  Second, y'know, New Zealand.  Way fun.  No plays. 

No comments: