Monday, March 29, 2004

On a happier note

I cannot begin to tell you how much fun I'm having with the DVD of that mini-series I picked up when I was in London. 

I mean, it's deja vu in the literal sense -- I have already seen this.  Back in something like 1989.  That's fifteen years.  (Gak!  I feel so old referencing things that happened "fifteen years ago.")  And if you'd asked me to recount the plot to you, before I started re-watching, I would've only been able to tell you in the most general of terms.

But as I'm watching it again, more is coming back to me than the actual program I'm watching.  I'm not just remembering the story -- I'm remembering where I was when I watched the program, and how much it sucked me in.  I mean, here's me on my sofa last night watching this movie, and we hit a scene that I had TOTALLY forgotten about.  And all of a sudden here's what I think:

-I know how the scene ends.
-I remember how shocked I was when I saw the ending to the scene.
-I remember thinking how Totally Freakin' Cool that was.
-I also remember that I was sitting in my host's living room watching the program.  I was eating a chicken stir-fry that I'd made, because we were in the middle of Mad Cow scare so I was spending a month living on chicken and tuna (and going out of my freakin' mind).  I remember she had these big wooden ... I don't even know the word for it, it isn't "shutters" ... they were two huge pieces of wood that covered the window from the inside, and we bolted them with a big old-fashioned bolt that made me feel like I was pulling up the drawbridge and locking the castle shut for the night...

And I gotta tell you -- I haven't thought about that in YEARS.  It's just amazing how much of that summer this one connection to that summer is bringing back.

It's also bringing back something completely different -- but I'll save that for a later entry.  I really want to watch another episode before bed tonight.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i know exactly what you mean about total recall (or almost total). There are certain songs, smells, movies that do that to me....where i can remember things so clearly its as if i was back there again. Even if it was 15 years ago, or G-d only knows how long ago! I can't even begin to imagine all the things that are stored in the brain/ memory banks. Must be huge!

Anonymous said...

P.S. How is your kitty feeling (since Thursday's entry)? Hopefully better!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for asking -- she's much better. I think the Cat Chow did the trick, because she starting eating again and hasn't stopped. And she's definitely her old self again -- playing and pouncing and all that. Yay!