Monday, February 2, 2004

Obsessions (1 of 2)

As long as we're on the topic, yes, I've had bizarre little obsessions over various things throughout my lifetime. Generally plays or musicals (bonus points to them what knew "Jekkies" are fans of the Broadway musical "Jekyll & Hyde"), but occasionally films. In fact, thinking back to the first time I saw something rather more times than a sane person would, it was "Saturday Night Fever."

(It is at this point that I ask you all to admit to your own embarrassing little obsessions. Y'know, to make me feel better about the fourteen or so times I watched John Travolta strike a pose in a white polyester suit.)

I've actually been thinking about this all day. (Harmless little obsessions, that is, not John Travolta. Honest.) I mean, back in the olden days, when I made my weekly pilgrimage to watch the life story of Tony Manero, I had to do it at an actual movie theater. And pay real money for the privilege. But now, with the advent of videotapes and DVDs, we can just own this stuff and watch something we like over and over again in the privacy of our own living rooms. I mean, when you think about it, the whole concept of videos and DVDs priced to sell is geared toward that segment of the viewing public for whom seeing something three times in a theater just isn't quite enough.

(And don't tell me you buy them for the extra added materials that you don't get in a theater. 'cause you could RENT them to watch those extra scenes. You must be planning on repeat viewings if you BUY the damn things. With the possible exception of the LOTR DVDs, which probably take several days of viewing to watch all the additional stuff.)

No comments: